MWA is a networking base for experienced, professional non-fiction writers. Members work across the media spectrum from magazines, newspapers, web-sites and corporate publications to books, trade journals, film, speech writing and texts. Their specialties range from arts and entertainment, family, health, history, home, landscaping, real estate, travel and sports to medical, technical and business writing.
- To create opportunities for our members to promote themselves and their work
- To network with other non-fiction writing professionals
- To increase our members’ knowledge base on the business and craft of writing
Benefits of Membership
- Network with a group of non-fiction writing pros, from published authors and to PR professionals to journalists and corporate and technical writers.
- Inclusion in the MWA services directory: Listings in all areas of your expertise in the brand new services directory. Are you an editor? Web designer? Social Media Maven? PR pro? Ghostwriter? Hang out your shingle in the directory and connect with people who need your skills.
- Free participation at the MWA table during Printers Row Lit Fest and the Chicago Book Expo. Sell your latest book, promote your services!
- Be part of an expert panel. We have launched a new initiative to present panel discussions at libraries and other venues. Members are invited to participate.
- Attend our formal programs at a discount, featuring presentations by experts offering everything from legal advice on intellectual property to how to break into new and emerging markets.
- Attend free of charge MWA networking events throughout the year, which include time to schmooze, have a bit to eat and an informal “technology transfer” discussion on topic relevant to professional writers.
- Exclusive member discounts offered by service providers.
Any one or more of the following:
- Work as a writer or editor in the publishing industry, public relations, advertising or other business in which writing or editing is a significant part of the job description.
- Publication (or a significant contribution to) of at least one traditionally published full-length nonfiction book. We will consider self-published non-fiction writers who can demonstrate authority related to their subject through their work or other experience.
- Publication of at least three articles published in print or online during the preceding twenty-four months. If you are submitting online content creation or blogging for membership consideration, you must have published at least twelve well-written posts (minimum of 450 words).
Interested individuals who are engaged in businesses or services that support the business of writers such as printers, binders, publishers, agents, book sellers etc. may also apply for membership.
For more information, fill in the contact form below or email us at MWWriters.firstname.lastname@example.org